Wednesday 22 June 2011

Thing 1 - iGoogle


Earlier this week I set up an iGoogle page. Google has been my search engine of choice (and in fact my web browser home page) for as long as I can remember, chosen over others for the clean feel of the interface – for me the visual simplicity was the great appeal. It was therefore with some reluctance that I proceeded to, as I saw it, clutter up my iGoogle page with gadgets. Furthermore, I found it difficult trying to anticipate what I would find useful. I hoped that using the search facility or looking at the favourites under “add stuff” would give me some ideas; however, completely different searches gave me very similar results, and clicking on the “you might also like” link produced some downright bizarre suggestions! I did persevere, and currently have a home tab (BBC weather, BBC news, mini Wikipedia, Google calendar), a library tab (Cambridge libraries widget, COPAC searchbox) and a travel tab (National Rail train journey planner, tfl tube map, Google map search). My minimalist tendencies held me back from exploring the more light-hearted gadgets (quotes, photos, etc.), but hopefully I will mellow…


It’s taking me a while to get used to using iGoogle, largely because of habit, rather than conscious resistance. I still head, without thinking, to my favourites list to go to websites, rather than using the gadgets on my iGoogle page, even when the gadget would supply me with all the information I need. Once I get into the habit of using these gadgets I think I will appreciate having them all in one place right in front of my face (as opposed to hitting my browser’s favourites button and scrolling down a list). It goes without saying that, as a librarian, the opportunity iGoogle presents me for categorising, organising and consolidating my resources is very appealing! I am still very much a fan of the visual simplicity of classic Google, but having set my iGoogle theme to ‘Swan Lake’ (a photo of ballerinas in tutus), I get a balletomanic thrill every time I view the page, which mostly makes up for the lack of white space.

Over the coming weeks and months I will, no doubt, get used to iGoogle, adding gadgets and rejigging my tabs and pages as certain situations present needs, opportunities and inspiration. Exciting!

5 comments:

Becky said...

Balletomanic is an excellent word...and this is an excellent post to boot, I look forward to the next one :)

Erin said...

I completely agree with you about the cluttered-ness of iGoogle, my red tartan kilts and sporrans are perhaps not helping that though. I found myself having to persevere with it since I am a creature of habit but hopefully once I have honed my gadgets and organised more tabs I will be happier! I love the idea of your travel one!

Jenny said...

Red tartan kilts and sporrans!!! Which theme are you using? It sounds great, if a little distracting!

Erin said...

Haha it is called 'sporrans'. Oh we watched the ADC DVD last night - brought it all back!

LibRhi said...

Hi Jenny,

I clearly haven't explored iGoogle enough as I didn't know there was a Swan Lake theme! The travel tab is a really great idea. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it...