Wednesday 27 July 2011

Thing 8 - Google calendar vs. my 80s lifestyle

My diary...
I don't have a lot to say about Google calendar. It was easy to set up and seems easy to use, but I currently have no use for it. At work us staff members use Microsoft Schedule+ to record, for our own and each other's benefit, appointments and activities. There are at present no plans for any kind of public facing calendar (one step at a time - we barely have a website at the moment!), but I can definitely see that Google calendar would be a strong candidate if there were. As for personal use - well, outside work I'm still living in the 80s. Not only do I spend a lot of time in a leotard and leg-warmers and watching movies like Flashdance, Dirty Dancing, and Footloose, I don't even have a computer at home, let alone internet access; and my mobile phone, although not the size of a brick, is definitely not internet enabled. Instead, I organise my life in a good old-fashioned paperback diary. I did briefly think about using Google calendar as a sort of back-up, in case I lose the hard copy, but therein probably lies the path to mix-ups, double-bookings, or complete no-shows, because I put an event in one and not the other, etc. etc. So I'm going to stick with the paperback. Which reminds me, in a few weeks time (or maybe already - I've not been into Paperchase recently) I need to make a date to trawl the shops for next (academic) year's diary, an exercise which I find ridiculously fun. Now, where's my diary...


2 comments:

Lyn Bailey said...

I couldn't think of anything to say for google calendar but enjoyed your post. I used to go for the diary in book form - although they always seemed too big or too small. Then I somehow didn't find time to go get a new diary when my old one ran out (obviously should have made the appointment in the diary!) so just used google calendar. Then I got a phone that I could access it on as well.

Jenny said...

I think my resistance is waning! I'm sure I'm really getting ripped off with my old pay-as-you-go mobile phone, and keep meaning to go into the Orange shop and find out what they can offer me. Probably it will be some kind of internet phone (and still cheaper than what I'm currently paying), and once I get one of those I expect I might start inclincing towards online organising rather than my paper diary. It would be silly to have a phone and a diary weighing down my handbag when the phone will do both, I suppose...